Licensing and Trail Permits
Calendar     Contact  

ATV/UTV Licensing and Trail Permits

ATVs in South Dakota are governed by state motorcycle law. There is no minimum age or license for off-road drivers; however, manufacturer’s operator guidelines should be followed. South Dakota allows a once-a-year temporary road use permit for ATVs or UTVs that may not be licensed in their home states but otherwise meet South Dakota standards for licensing. Permits are valid for a period of not less than five days nor more than 15 days and may be obtained at any South Dakota county courthouse. Proof of ownership (a title or bill of sale) and payment of a fee equal to $1 per each day are required to obtain the permit. The permit allows travel on all state and county roads except interstate highways.

On-the-road drivers need a valid driver’s license and a licensed ATV. ATV use is prohibited on the interstate highway system.

For current and downloadable Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) and related documents and files, including a question and answer sheet, searchable legend and map text, and other user aids or by visiting on the motor vehicle use map (MVUM) section on the Black Hills National Forest website.

Trail Permits

Trail system fees are $20 a week per vehicle or $25 for an annual pass. Motorized trail permits to use the system are available at Forest Service offices, outlets and online. During the Rally annual trail permits will be available at the Big D Travel Center at Sturgis exit 32 for $30.00.


homeslicegroup.png amsoil_blk.png  amsoil_blk.png amsoil_blk.png